Andrew T. Berlin
Andrew Berlin is the Chairman and CEO of Berlin Packaging, Chairman and Owner of the South Bend Cubs baseball team, a Partner at the Chicago Cubs, and is active in many associations and civic activities.
As Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Chicago-based, Berlin Packaging, Andrew Berlin oversees the only Hybrid Packaging Supplier® of plastic, glass, and metal containers and closures. Under Andrew's leadership since 1988, the company is now a $2.3 billion enterprise, growing multiple times faster than the industry. Much of this growth is attributable to the compelling concepts and products he has brought to the packaging community and his innovative approach to operational strategy and business culture.
- Has over 40,000 available SKUs, over 200 packaging consultants, and more than 100 sales and warehouse locations across North America and Europe; the company has the right products, expertise, and geographic proximity to help customers increase their bottom lines through packaging products and services.
- Supplies billions of containers and closures annually as well as performs warehousing and logistics services for customers of all sizes in all industries.
- Is the only company in its sector to be ISO 9001 certified, to have Customs-Trade Partnership Against Terrorism (C-TPAT) certification, and to achieve 99% on-time delivery of its shipments every month for over 13 years.
- Has an array of complementary businesses that function to enhance customer relationships and quantifiably improve customer profitability, including:
- Studio One Eleven, a design and innovation division bringing extensive experience in branding, package and product development, and a deep understanding of the implications package design has on the complete supply chain;
- Berlin Global Packaging Group, global sourcing experts providing smooth management of transportation and logistics to ensure parts arrive in specification, on time, and 100% problem free;
- E3, a consulting service helping customers Enhance Earnings and Efficiency;
- Berlin Financial Services, offering flexible financing for capital spending initiatives;
- Berlin Quality, delivering proactive and reactive support to make quality a competitive advantage for customers;
- Dangerous Goods, providing safe, economical, UN-certified packaging solutions for shipping dangerous and temperature-sensitive goods;
- Qorpak, a global supplier of laboratory packaging and supplies; and
- Freund Container & Supply, a catalog division providing "need it now" packaging and industrial supplies with same-day shipping and no minimum-order requirements.
Case Study on Culture
Andrew's passion for winning through a unique corporate culture earned Berlin Packaging a case study in The Human Equation.
- Case study demonstrates the company's successful use of "mutuality of obligation" principles between employer and employee to build a competitive advantage.
- Book was authored by Jeffrey Pfeffer, a Professor and nationally recognized expert on human resources at the Graduate School of Business at Stanford University and was published by Harvard Business School Press.
- Partner at the 2016 World Champion Chicago Cubs
- Chairman and Owner of South Bend Cubs, MiLB affiliate of the Chicago Cubs
Public Speaking & Accolades
- Frequent quotes in major publications, including The Wall Street Journal, Chicago Tribune, Business Week, and leading trade journals;
- Frequent speaking engagements on the subjects of packaging, leadership, and business-entrepreneurial studies;
- Induction into the Chicago Area Entrepreneurship Hall of Fame, which recognizes innovators and leaders; and
- Listing in Crain's Chicago Business Who's Who as a business and civic leader.
- Board of Directors of the American Cancer Society;
- Board of Directors at Elkay Manufacturing, Image Skincare, and Channel Products;
- Board of Trustees at Syracuse University;
- Advisory Board of the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs at Syracuse University, where he created the Andrew Berlin Family National Security Research Fund in honor of Professor David H. Bennett to support faculty research in the Institute for National Security and Counterterrorism (INSCT);
- Affiliations with the Institute of Packaging Professionals and World Presidents' Organization (WPO);
- Appointed by Governor Bruce Rauner to the Illinois State Police Merit Board, which is responsible for selecting, promoting, and disciplining Illinois State Police troopers;
- Public Safety Commission for the Village of Glencoe, IL, which is charged with oversight of Glencoe's police force and fire department; and
- Member of Broward Sheriff’s Advisory Council, which supports law enforcement in Broward County, Florida.
- Juris Doctor of Law (J.D.) degree from Loyola University Chicago School of Law where he served as Managing Editor of the Law Review;
- Attendance at the Graduate School of Business Executive Program at Stanford University;
- Study of Military history at Boston College; and
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree in political science from Syracuse University.